Friday, March 6, 2009

Days 4 & 5 - 3/5 & 3/6

Hi folks,

As it turns out, 5 high doses of IL2 was all my body could take: Two on Monday (4pm, midnight & three on Tuesday 8am, 4pm, midnight) all of my vitals at one time or another had issues, but they would counter it with some type of medication. The one thing that has been lingering since Wed. morning has been fluid in the lungs. I've gained 10 lbs of fluid and have been short of breath, but managing and last night/today given a diuretic which has helped. I am down to 8 lbs today...ugh!

Dr. Kaplan decided that we are done for this first round of treatment and I now need to fully recover. He thinks I should be ready to be released sometime this weekend, and then rest/recover more at home next week. He is going to recommend a different treatment plan next round - which still includes IL2 but maybe administered differently.

I had a good friend, Michelle French, (Alexa's soccer coach) 2 doors down on my floor here from Mon-Wed, so it was nice having her and her mom to visit with, she busted out though, which is good! Thanks Michelle!

I have heard from Doug, the girls, mom, dad and Kim all the well wishes, calls, texts from everyone, and the comments on the blog -thank you very much! Plus all the meals from the girls' soccer teams have been very appreciated at home! Kourts and Alexa have been awesome, they created great wipe board art for me to stare at, along with visits and daily calls/texts. Doug, Mom, Dad and Kim have all spent their shifts here with me, even if I was sleeping the whole time. Thanks to my loving family for their support!

All I have to say is that I am SO GLAD that the worst of this (Monday night - Wed. morning) round is over - it was not fun and I do not look forward to those side effects again, but if that is what it takes to get this cancer out of me, then bring it on!!

Sending all of you my love!
~Keri

7 comments:

  1. Hello Keri,

    I am here in Bellevue, a friend of a friend’s mom, cheering you on for your perseverance and your ability to evaluate and to take charge of your own care. In reading previous comments to your blog, I was taken by the words of wisdom from Aunt Linda, and I commend them to you as a reminder:

    “...Find out all that you can about the things that might lessen any of the side effects of treatment. Expect to do well with any side effects and ask anyone and everyone what seems to work for them. Don't overlook taking good care of EVERY part of yourself! Calories are important so take in whatever works for you...gaining weight shouldn't be an issue! Nutrition drinks are good...some flavors may not work but you will find what does. You now have a focus for your energy. YOU WILL COME OUT ON TOP!”

    Know that the thoughts and prayers of many are with you and your family.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it through your first round! Just remember: while you are fighting the side effects of the treatments your cancer is getting beaten and battered and every drop of "stuff" you take is poison to the cancer. YOU WILL COME OUT ON TOP!

    Love to you and your loving supportive crew!
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above comments are soooooo true--the cancer took a BIG hit from the treatments you were able to take. You gave it everything you could!!!Enjoy your time at home with your family. Do some FUN things and know we are all with you 100%. Love, Sue (and Bob)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow - it is unbelievable what the human body can go through. Keri, I am so thankful you are through round 1 of this and can now at least know that you have some help inside of your body to fight this cancer! Know that all of us here wish there were an easier way to help you fight it inside, but know that the overwhelming love, support, and prayers from those of us on the outside of your body will filter in:) Stay strong Keri, and I hope your recovery from round 1 is quick and you are back feeling good soon! Lots of love!! The Merz Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri and family;
    I am checking often on your progress and saying prayers daily for your speedy recovery. Looking forward to your good health in the coming days, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keri, we hope you get well enough to go home and have a restful week. Remember, the cancer cells feel worse than you do right now!
    Stay positive, love, the Petersens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha Keri,

    Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you. Carl, your blog, and Lori have kept us up to date. We really understand what you're going through and admire your courage. You're doing all the right things, but it's tough. We wish you a speedy recovery from all these side effects--maybe by Monday. Many hugs to you and Glenda.

    Stay strong,

    Robert and Jeri (in Hawaii)

    ReplyDelete