Thursday, April 30, 2009

Update April 30th - It is out!

Hi,
With the disappointing news on Tuesday that the 3mm x 8mm lens shaped mass, just below my skin in my right scapula area, was cancer, I quickly picked up my PET/CT and Ultrasound scans from Swedish and drove them over to the UW Medical Center for Dr. Byrd to review on Wednesday morning. He looked at the scans, said he could get it to it, and sent me to the ultrasound dept. to get the spot marked. Then, that afternoon, it took him about 45 minutes to find it and remove it using local anesthetic, all while I was awake. So technically, at this moment, I am free of cancer :-) But, due to the fact that I had a satellite mass, located away from the regional area where it began (my left leg), I am considered in early stage 4.

Today, Thursday, Doug and I met with Dr. Kaplan to go over all the possible systemic treatments that are available to try to prevent me from having any type of re-occurrence. IL-2 will not be considered anymore :-) Also, Dr. Kaplan has teamed up with the other oncologist I had at the beginning, Dr. Thompson, and with both of them discussing my case, we have lots of treatment options to consider.

Here are some of the options we are considering: There are a few vaccine trials that would require some travel, there is the GM-CSF shot, there is observation, there is chemotherapy with other types of drugs, and there is a trial coming to the UW, with Dr. Thompson, in the summer that looks promising as well. For now, we are going to gather more data on all our options and then meet up again with Dr. Kaplan in 2 weeks, mid-May. Also, on May 9th, there is a Northwest Melanoma Symposium - Science to Survivorship -being held at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research center, hosted by Dr. Byrd and the oncologists at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (Thompson/Margolin) that I will attend to learn more: http://www.melanoma.org/ .

Look for another update later in May.

Thanks for all your support!
~Keri
PS Happy 20th Birthday, last Sunday, to my nephew, Pierce. He plays for the UW baseball team and they will be at Safeco field on Friday night, May 8th, vs Oregon State University. GO DAWGS!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Keri, so glad you updated this last night.
    WE are all thinking of you. Sounds like lots of good options and you will have a great conference to attend.
    Lots of love and hugs to you,
    Michelle & the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard you were possibly back at work? It would be wonderful to see you. I have been out for a month and it is really weird going back!! I am so glad every this is positive progress for you. Think of you, Doug and the kids often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keri ~ Thanks for the update. We are thankful they removed the other cancer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you decide the next step. Thinking of you often.
    Tina, JIm, Blake and Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best words in the world, cancer free. So glad they could get to that little area easily and you did not need alot of anesthesia. Good job researching Keri--the symposium sounds great for you to get all the info and be involved in your treatment. It is the way to do things these days--be in charge--which is what you will have no trouble doing I am sure. HA--Think positive thoughts for your body to fight all this--it can and will be done. Love, Sue (and Bob)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri-Thanks for the update. I think about you every day, sending positive energy your way to continue this fight. Keep that terrific attitude. Tamara A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Keri...
    Great news! I am so happy for you, Doug and the girls that your body is cancer-free. Way to take the challenge and conquer it with such tenacity and knowledge.

    Take care,
    Jenrodi Hoglin

    ReplyDelete