Tuesday, April 28, 2009

4/28 Update - right scapula results

Hi there,

The results came back that the very small, linear tumor in my right scapula does contain cancerous cells :-( We will be meeting with my doctors over the rest of the week to determine the best way to attack it.

First we need to decide between surgery or radiation to remove/kill the tumor. Right now we are leaning towards surgery and I will talk to Dr. Byrd this week to confirm and schedule it soon. Then after surgery, we will decide which other aggressive systemic treatment I will do.

The good news is to know that there has been no "new" growths since we first learned I had melanoma in December since this right scapula area was detected back then too. Plus we have already used the most toxic approved cancer drug (IL-2) there is, so the other drug treatments (toxic or not) should be more manageable, and hopefully very effective.

I will update this blog when some more decisions have been made - which should be by the beginning of next week.


Thanks and keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming :-)

~Keri

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. We love you and are praying for you regularly. We know that this has been a long journey, and we believe there will be a cancer-free result at the end of it.

    Please let us know if there is anything we can do for your family.

    --Dan and Kelli Hamann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong Keri. You have fans everywhere sending you fighting thoughts.. Breathe deep and go back to game mode.. :)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know you'll fight this just like you did the rest. We are here for anything you need and are sending out lots of prayers!

    Keep that positive attitude- it IS working!!!

    XOXO, The Petersens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keri,
    Today I met Scott at the facebook.com and he gave me this link. I just have read all the updates you posted on this page and I stunned. How can that happen to you? Certainly I do not understand all of your entries, but I am in cheerful spirits that it come out all right. You were always a big fighter and this disease will have no chance against you.
    Now, I will visit this page at least once a week to keep up with the news.
    All the best and regards
    "The Penzkofers"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keri and family - thank you for the update, though certainly not the news I know we wanted to hear. That said, this is the next step to your full recovery! Know that we all love you and are praying for you to fight the cancer once and for all and get a clean bill of health. You are strong, courageous and determined. We are all behind you with lots of love and support. All our best, The Merz's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news on the no new cancer, but that old one has got to go. The roller coaster continues, but sounds like you have some good options to get the last cancer out. I will be waiting to hear your decision. Take care of yourself in the meantime and enjoy your time between treatment. Love, Sue (and Bob)

    ReplyDelete