Hi everyone,
What a difference a week makes!! I am sleeping normally and then during the day, I am up and walking around the house a lot more. As of Monday, I have been off my pain medications and Tuesday I went to the UWMC and had one of my drains removed and the stitches on my shin and back of my knee removed. I am still house-bound since I have one more drain that we need to care for, but I feel great.
As for the pathology results...after hounding both Dr. Byrd and Dr. Margolin all day today, I finally got a call back from both of them tonight: the node on the outside of my knee was a stray "lymph node" which is very good news - that means that the melanoma had stayed within the lymph node strand and did not go "in-transit". Then he elaborated a bit more on the groin area: the lower area had some nodes that were positive and negative with melanoma and then the upper groin area was all positive with melanoma. So Dr. Bryd wants to have me meet with a radiation therapist to discuss possible treatment for that specific area. He wants to be sure that it didn't spread higher than what he could see during surgery. Along with this, the need for a physical therapy to help combat lymphedemea will be a must.
Next steps:
1) I have an appt. on Tuesday, 1/27, with my oncologist, Dr. Margolin, to discuss my treatment and since the melanoma was contained to just the lymph nodes, I am one step closer to being eligible for a couple of clinical trials. We believe that a clinical trial is a much better option than the interferon injection option, and we will need to consult with Dr. Margolin on her thoughts of radiation treatment.
2) Then on Friday, 1/30, I have an appt with Dr. Bryd to remove my last drain as long as it is ready to be removed.
So tonight we are relieved with hearing the good news about the outside knee area, yet a bit concerned with the aggressiveness of the upper groin area and the idea of radiation. If radiation therapy is the course we go, it wouldn't begin until after I am completely healed (a couple more weeks).
Again, we so appreciate all the flowers/cards and wonderful meals/baked goods that friends and family are making for us! We are so fortunate!! Thank you!!!
Have a great weekend and we will update the blog next Friday, 1/30.
~Keri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Keri,
ReplyDeleteChristian & I send you lots of love and positive energy. We care very much for you and want you to know that we admire your strength and courage. Smile and know that a lot of people care about you and love you!
Krista
Hi Keri....glad that you now know the extent of
ReplyDeletethe melanoma and can now decide what treatment options are the best for you. Stay positive, listen to your body, rest when you get tired,
and laugh, laugh, laugh...hang out with those who can help you do that! Kourtney, Alexa and Doug will be never ending sources for that!
Check out the American Cancer Society for information on all kinds of things: wigs, skin care, make-up, etc. My wigs were free and
I attended a couple of skin care classes offered by a local business through the Society. Talking to those who have gone through treatment will help answer many of the questions you have over the course of your recovery. Remember to put yourself first and continue to let others help you through the bumpy spots. You are strong and you will get through this.
Love to all the family....Aunt Linda
Well my speech isn't going to be as good as Aunt Linda's.....thanks mommy......but I hope you keep your chin up. It won't be hard with all the crazy characters running around your house. I wish I was there to help take care of you. I would thoroughly enjoy that. Tell the family hi, yes even Doug, and I hope to see you guys when I get back this summer. Be strong and know that I am thinking of you and am truly blessed to have you as family.
ReplyDeleteKeri, thanks again for your updates. It is much appreciated for all of us wondering how things ar going. The good news is that you are one more step closer to a positive recovery! I know it is not the diagnosis we all hoped for, but you are one step closer to figuring out how to get it to go away for good!! Great news on the possibility of being eligible for a clinical trial. Stay strong and feel all the love and support from all of us who are praying for you and sending positive karma your way for a positive recovery. It will be great to see your smile and energy back on the soccer fields soon!!! We miss you!
ReplyDeleteThe Merz Family :)