Friday, January 16, 2009

Update #7 - 1/16 - Home from the hospital

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the beautiful flowers/cards sent to the hospital and my home - they brighten my day and lighten up the house.

I was able to come home on Wed., 1/14, in the afternoon (my 40th b-day :-). They kept me an extra night since I was far from ready on 1/13 as I had a few fevers and very little sleep, plus not being able to get in and out of bed without major assistance. I had a great group of nurses caring for me in the hospital and also a cute/young team of residents - it was funny - it reminded me of Grey's Anatomy....I have a few stories about them!

Yesterday was my first full day at home and I am trying to figure out all the medications, how they make me feel/sleep, etc. so I am able to be coherent when the girls go to school and get home. Between the Oxycodone, Tylenol, Lovenox (self shot of blood thinner), and one other, it has been interesting. Still not sleeping completely through the night, but getting a few medicated naps a day ;-)

Surgery:
I got more info out of Doug's blog than I remember everyone telling me on 1/12. The one thing I can say is that my darn right ankle felt re-injured coming out of the long surgery - since they had to turn me over a couple times - I quickly asked for ice in the recovery room, and they thought I meant ice-chips, which was nice too - but once it was numb, it was all good and is much better now. Dr. Byrd visited me later in the evening on Monday and brought the resident that sent down the order not to feed me, she was so apologetic, I told her not to worry and that my daughter was determined to help and Dr. Byrd thought Kourts was awesome! He said he got everything he could see - (the node in my groin was the size of a ping-pong ball) and he was very glad not to have to do the skin graft, as the melanoma on the shin wasn't as deep - which is good.

I have some impressive incisions and nurse Glenda is taking care of them very well, along with the 2 drains (one in my stomach and on on my leg - which I will have until 1/30). The girls think that it is all pretty gross, but aren't far from me when they are home and my bedroom is still a good place to do homework ;-)

So I have to say that the best B-day present I have ever received was the news I am Cancer-free. I look forward to hearing the results next Tuesday and then meeting with Dr. Margolin again to make final decisions on my treatment.

Also, thank you for all the food/meals - every bit of it is being quickly consumed, and it all is much better than my family is used to... :-)

Thanks again for all your love, thoughts, prayers, comments and support! We will update the blog next week after we hear the results.

~Keri

10 comments:

  1. WAHOO...so glad that you are home where you
    can relax a bit rather than all the wake-up calls for medication, etc. at the hospital
    which is no place to get any rest!!! Glad
    that you have so much TLC from such determined "women!"

    Love you...Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Keri. I love reading your blog. Will be awaiting the news next week. In the meantime, no sprinting. (kidding of course) Enjoy the "rest" and you will heal quickly. Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear the sugery went well (with the exception of the ankle:) and you are back at home with the family. Will be continuing to look for updates and sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the new post. I am happy to hear you are home and working on your recovery. What a way to bring in the 40s! Sending all positive energy your way. Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update. You are on all our minds so often and I appreciate you sharing your wonderful progrss with us. If the girls are selling cookies put me down for 10 boxes of samoas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keri, Doug & Family,

    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Keri, that is great news on being cancer free! My wife is a Breast Cancer survior (6+ years), so Doug I remember a little about what you are experiencing. Stay strong all!

    All the best,

    Larry "Metro" Meyer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi honey!
    It was great to hear your voice and know that you are on the mend. Jim and I have been praying hard and thinking of you daily. The offer still stands, if you need anything, just call. Love to Doug, he is so strong! Bless you all!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cuz,
    Happy to hear that everything went well and that you are recovering. I Love you guys and look forword to seeing you when I get back in August.

    Love you!
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so happy for you Keri. It was music to our ears to read that you are cancer free. It was tough at times not getting the whole story however we new that in the end everything would be ok.

    Now that the operation is done make sure you get lots of rest and make sure that Doug behaves. Remember that he lived with me for 2 years so I know how he is at times. Just kidding!

    Take care and talk to you soon!
    Whitby Archers

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey keri. so glad to hear the surgery went well and you are in good spirits. yipeee for you! hi to all for us. love michelle

    ReplyDelete