Monday, January 12, 2009

Update #6 1/12 Surgery Details

Hello All

First of all thank you all for the well wishes! They are much appreciated!

We had a long day beginning at 5:45 am. Keri was prepped for surgery,vitals,urine etc Had a pregnancy test...Negative! Whew! After that I was politely asked to leave. She met with the anesthesiologist and was on her way. The surgery began at about 8:15am and lasted until 1:01pm...4 hours and 45 minutes...now that is what I call a good nap! Keri's Mom, Dad and myself met with Dr.Byrd at about 1:40pm and heard his report. Basically everything went well, There were no surprises, the original mole was removed(no skin graft necessary at this time, which was good news! One less wound to heal!Yeah!) Next came behind the knee, lymph node removed behind the knee(Dr Byrd looked at this one under a microscope and confirmed that it was malignant) He then removed the node that was located at the side of her knee. We will have to wait for the pathology on this one. Up to this point it took about two hours.

Next Dr.Byrd started on the groin area, he removed the lower groin nodes and then removed the upper nodes as well. He took nodes out around the obvious malignant nodes in the upper section and will be checking the pathology under a microscope. This should take a little over a week before we get the results on these surrounding nodes. We know the main nodes are malignant as they were already biopsied.

Keri was in recovery from 1:00pm until 2:45pm. She was in good spirits, took one look at me and said.."Hi, where are my babies? I responded with "I will go and get them," She said, "Yes, Please!" The kids and I hung out until 8:30pm, Keri was tired and hopefully going to have a good nights sleep, I should have grabbed some meds for myself! Beer will have to do!

Keri was incredibly strong and we are hoping for the best with the pathology reports next week. Thanks again for all of your love and support. Thanks to Keri's Mom and Dad for putting in a full shift at the hospital today! We will let you all know when Keri will be released from the hospital.

Thanks again!

Doug

28 comments:

  1. Keri,
    So glad to hear the surgery went well today. You will be back on your feet in no time :) You are in our thoughts and prayers!

    Eric & Alyson Harber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri,

    It's great to hear that all went well with your surgery today. We want you to know that we are thinking of you and praying for your quick recovery!

    Pete, Lynette & Sophie Butterfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirtons. I'm so glad you are doing well Keri and that Doug and your babies were there with you all day. You are a strong woman and I'm sure you will be up and around in no time. Take care of yourself. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    The Tingeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update Dougie!! Great job Sis you are strong! Stay positive and believe! We love you!!
    All the Rankins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kirtons,
    I am glad the surgery went well. We have kept you in our daily prayers!

    Brooke & Kevin Noone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kirtons:

    So glad the surgery went well. Keri, you are so strong and positive, and we know you will be up in no time. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

    The Taskers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keri and the Kirton Family!
    I'm relieved to hear that the surgery went well - and wishing you the best of news when you receive your results. You and your family are in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.
    I hope to see your smiling face, back around the office soon! :)
    - Erin Copeland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keri! We are so glad the surgery went well and is behind you!! Glad they did not have to do the skin graff, that sounded kinda grose! We are praying for good news from your results and for a speedy recovery!! Doug thanks for posting the update-you did good!

    ~The Wedekind Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Kirton family,
    Oh we sure are thankful for your good news. We hope you are all doing ok. Godspeed Keri!
    Love the Graham clan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the update. We are all glad the surgery went well and Keri was able to eat and be with you all. We are thinking of you all and praying for you. Lots of love,
    Tina, Jim, and girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keri and Family -
    Thank you so much for this update. You are all in our thoughts and prayers and we were relieved to hear the surgery went well and everyone is in good spirits. Sounds like Courtney is managing the doctors and hospital staff, so you should be getting the best care:) Go Courtney! All our best to you for continued great progress!
    Karen, Mike and Shannon Merz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keri,
    We are so happy to hear that your surgery went well. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    God bless,
    The Adamson's
    Jim, Vicki, James, Gaby, and Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keri, my family is sending good thoughts to you. We miss you at T-Mobile too; heal quickly and rest well. Take care, Melissa Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kirton Family
    Glad to hear surgery went well. Are thoughts and prayers are with you!
    Dan,Bonnie,Ashley and Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keri and Family,

    Hugs and Kisses. I am glad to hear that the surgery is over and that you will be going home to be pampered by Nurse Glenda! Bask in the attention and get stronger everyday....one day at a time. I am off to Canada for a couple of days but when I return, I'll come visit and you will have two nurses. Is that good thing? All my love and prayers, Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so hard on all of you -- I know as I've sat in the waiting room when my mom had cancer surgery. That was 30 years ago -- I just went to her 80th birthday party. Keri will recover and and be around a long time so someday she'll hold her grandbabies.....my thoughts, and prayers are with you. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Keri! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers - wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

    Thanks Family, for the updates.

    Rick and Linda De Barros

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kirtons ~ We are so glad to hear the surgery went well. You were on our minds all day on the 12th. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if we can help out with carpool this tournament weekend or anything. Take care ~ Tina and Jim

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keri:
    Take care of yourself and keep the postivie thoughts flowing!! In reading your blog you have so many wonderful friends and family pulling for you. Kelley and Darrell and I are sending loving thoughts to you and your family!! Like our Dads, lets get em in the 4th quarter!!!!!!!!Love you much!
    Kathy and Kelley and Darrell

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are so glad to hear it went well. We have been thinking of you often. Keep the posts coming, it's so great to hear first hand what's been going on. Take care and get better soon.

    Love,

    The Groves

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you came through the surgery so well...must be the German heritage of the Schloredt Clan with a touch of Cleveland!
    We're ALL tough old birds!

    Love you...Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Keri and family (good job Kortney!)
    Glenda called after the surgery to fill us in, so glad things went well and that no graft was needed!! YEA
    Now the road ahead will be long but if I had to put my money on anyone doing great it would be you Keri - you are a real tiger! Sending loads of love and support
    Love Dianne (and Richie of course)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Kirton Family....our thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this time of challenge. Keri, we wish you a speedy recovery and the best results possible!

    Thinking of you up here in Calgary....The Mumford Family

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear all went well. Good job Kortney for getting you some food. Sounds like a "chip off the old block" to say what you mean and mean what you say--if you know what I mean. That is confusing but I still remember a young girl asking her coach "what does a girl have to do to play around here?" Of course we laughed later, and knew that was part of your strength. Take care of yourself in your recovery time and, from a nurse, take your pain pills. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Sue and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keri, Bob and family..

    That's a looooong operation! I hope they got all the bad stuff out and you are on the road to recovery. Our thoughts are with you.

    Frank, Laura and Max Fennema

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keri and Family,

    So glad to hear the surgery went well. Stay strong. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    The Rinaldos

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Keri, Doug, Kourtney & Alexa... Keri, I had no doubt you'd make it through surgery and be on the path to recovery in short order. I loved Kourtneys' blog about finding Dr. Byrd in the cafeteria. Kourtney is indeed her mother's daughter! Not to slight you Dougie! I wish I were up there to help out any way I could... know I'm thinking about all of you and sending good healing thoughts your way. Love - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for the updates on Keri. Thinking of you all and looking forward to the video of Doug playing guitar! Tamara Arnold

    ReplyDelete