Thanks for all the well wishes, comments on this blog, phone calls, texts and emails! I feel so fortunate to have all of your support!
I had my appointment today and it lasted about 3 hours (1-4pm). Doug and my mom were with me while my dad took the girls Christmas shopping at U Village.
Dr. Byrd explained his diagnosis of my PET CT results and then we discussed our plan for the primary treatment, which is surgery.
During my surgery, he will perform a wide local excision of the shin area with skin grafting since the shin area doesn't have a lot of extra skin to spare. Then he will perform a lymphandenectomy, removing most of the lymph nodes in my left groin area, the affected lymph node deep behind my left knee, and then a (possible) transit tumor or superficial lymph node on the outside of my left knee. At this point, he believes I am in stage III C.
Dr. Byrd is going to work me into his surgery schedule as soon as possible, and we will know the exact date of surgery later this week.
For the adjuvant (additional) treatment after surgery, he has recommended me to a well respected melanoma medical Oncologist, Dr. Kim Margolin, who has recently joined the SCCA team from Los Angeles's City of Hope - Comprehensive Cancer Center. We are very hopeful that I will not need chemotherapy, and both girls are happy that I will not lose my hair. I will wait to meet with her before we know exactly what treatment will be most effective post-surgery.
Please know we are all in good spirits and excited for the holidays. We got a good laugh during all of this when the Dr. also told me that the X-ray on my sprained ankle showed that I did not break it, but that I do not have the ankles of a "normal 39 yr old" and I have degenerative joint disease and multiple bone spurs, most likely due to all the soccer I have played in my life....under normal circumstances, that would have been a blow, now we just laugh....I have always wondered, since college, if that constant cracking noise I have heard while walking was doing damage ;-)
Thanks again for all your love and support and have a very Merry Christmas!!! The next update will be posted once we know the surgery date.
Cheers!
~Keri
PS We picked up Doug's younger brother, Scott, from the airport tonight. He made it all the way from Calgary without a hitch and we are very happy to have him with us for the holidays!
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Sis! Standing with you! Mom filled me in but still good to get all the detail so we know how to pray specifically! You are amazing and Glad to hear Scotty made it safely!See ya tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteWe are all thinking of you during the Holidays. WA misses you and is looking forward to being able to beat on you again soon. Take care.
ReplyDeleteHey there Kirton family! I wanted to first say thanks for offering to take me in while I was stranded up North at the airport. I'm sorry that I was so intent on getting home, otherwise I would have taken you up on that offer. On another note, holy cow....... I can't think of a stronger woman to have to deal with this, even though it stinks. I know you're strong and will come out on top, but please don't hesitate to call in times of frustration and heartache. We all reach those points in our life. Doug, you better be nice to Keri. I WILL drive up there just to kick your #$%. We love you guys.....Aunt linda says "hello" and she has you in a couple of prayer chains.
ReplyDeleteKeri and family, As Ernie said, we wanted to let you know that both of us are thinking of you and that are prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteHe who has health has hope, but he who has hope has everything.
Annie and Ernie Oliver
Hey Keri,
ReplyDeleteSorry we weren't able to see you over the holidays. Maybe we can hook up this weekend. HUG'S & KISSES from Aaron and I.
:)
Kristin