Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Update # 3 - 12/31

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!
(If you are new to reading this Blog, start from the very bottom :-)

Updates:
1) My appt. w/ Dr. Kim Margolin yesterday went well, we learned about the treatment options I have for post-surgery: Interferon injections, a clinical trial or observation. As for a final decision on the best treatment, we will have to wait until after surgery to see how it all turns out. We need lots of prayers that the lump on the outside of my knee is a superficial lymph node and not an in-transit tumor. That way, when Dr. Byrd brings his "A" game to surgery on 1/12, he will be able to remove ALL the melanoma in me in one shot. When he does that, there is a slight chance I may be eligible for a clinical trial called "MAGE vaccine trial" that is going on right now in 5 cities including Seattle. Again, this will be based on the outcome of the surgery -cleaning me of all melanoma, the pathology results of my lymph nodes and some other qualifying criteria - a long shot, but maybe I will qualify.

2) I got an MRI on my right ankle on Monday and the results came back yesterday that revealed I completely tore my anterior and inferior talofibular ligament and partially tore the inferior band of the deltoid ligament...ugh! I have been walking with a boot for a few days which has helped and now I have an appt. on Monday 1/5 with an Orthopedic to see what I will need to do - hopefully just keep wearing the boot for a few weeks as opposed to a cast or surgery.

We have been enjoying the holidays here at the Kirton house! As for our family visit, Scott went back to Calgary on Sunday and Doug's parents, sister and niece go back to Toronto on 1/5. It has been great to have them with us!

Thanks again for all your support and comments on this blog! We will update it again in 2009 :-)

Cheers!
~ Keri

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sis! Happy New Year! I am trying to get some info from a friend that I think will be totally rad! It is along the lines of boosting your immune system to fight the cancer along with all the things the docs can do! They were successful with fighting a rare cancer with their son. Love ya!! You always bring your "A" game !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri. I have been following your blog. Hard to believe all this. It sounds like you have great doctors, which is the bottom line!! I was diagnosed with Melanoma also a couple years ago. I was taking a pt.s blood pressure when she was in labor and her husband grabbed my arm--scared me to death==but he said "how long has that mole looked like that?" It was a mole on the back of my upper arm that he saw as I reached over his wife with the BP cuff. He is a dermatologist specializing in cancer. He did a biopsy a couple weeks later and it was melanoma but in the earliest stage. They just took a nice hunk of my arm off and the margins were clear. I wanted them to tighten up the flabby part, but no luck--HAHA. I was very lucky. Too many sunburns playing soccer I guess. Just one other thought--through Bob's chemo and treatment of his colon cancer, it is hard to not get caught up in the "what if's". We learned to not worry about it until you get the reports, cause the what ifs will drive you slightly insane. Your approach sounds like you are doing all the right things. I am thinking that stupid other little node by your knee is NOTHING. I am thinking of you often and still remember your stregth on the soccer field and your determination. You will do great fighting this. Have a wonderful time with Doug's family and the girls, and Doug, too HAHA. Love, Sue Akers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keri:
    Leslie and my Mom have been keeping me updated. Just wanted to let you know how much we are thinking of you. You have what it takes to beat this and tons of people are praying for you!!! We love you and are close by so let us know if there is anything we can do for you and your family. Love you tons! Kathy Owens Bygren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keri - I just found out about your news today and wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help while you're out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keri- Just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We miss you here! ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete