Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8th update

Hi everyone,

Just 2 updates:

1) I talked to Dr. Byrd on Friday to confirm our decision to wait on going through any surgery on those 4 areas until after I get my next round of PET/CT scans sometime in July. Then he also let me know that the pathology report showed that it was a lymph node w/ melanoma that was removed in my right scapula in May. This means that the melanoma could have traveled through my lymphatic system as opposed to my blood stream. This doesn't change my stage or anything, since it is a distant site, but it is good news that there still is a chance that it hasn't gone into my blood system.

2) I am now taking 2 weeks off from the GM-CSF shot treatment and will begin another round of it from June 19 - July 2nd. The ipilimumab drug treatment that we are waiting to come to the UW w/ Dr. Thompson isn't coming in until September, so we will keep with the GM-CSF until that time.

Thanks for all your support and well wishes :-)

~Keri

5 comments:

  1. Hi Keri ~ You have been on my mind and I was glad to read your update and that is has not gone into your blood stream. I think of you often and we are all praying for you. Keep fighting. You can beat this. :) xoxo
    The Sypher's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri@ I was just thinking about you and was glad to get your posting. I am grateful to hear that they believe it may not be in the bloodstream! Stay strong and know we all are routing for you everyday!
    The Merz's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keri,

    It was great seeing you last night. You always make me laugh, and are always so much fun. It is impossible for me to even imagine what you have been through and I am in awe of your strength. I have found that the best people that I know often have the hardest challenges in life. People have beat this and knowing your strength, I believe that you truly will overcome. We will be saying lots of prayers. xx- Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story about ipilimumab is way cool. Let's hope you can see a great response.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8110103.stm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keri,
    I'm currently at Children's with Annika, another 5 day round of chemo(!) and thought I'd check in to see you are doing - we both think of you often. I pulled up your last email to get your address and noticed that you included this blog - somehow I missed it the first time! I've spent some time reading, catching up on your story. It sounds like you are in excellent hands and have such a great spirit - something about those spunky soccer players :) So glad for the blog - yes, summer is here and sunscreen is a good thing! I grew up in sunny California and had my own brush with a "potential" melanoma - a chunk taken from my back along with 2 lymph nodes (nodules) as a precaution. So along with Annika's battle, your story really tugs at the heartstrings. You continue to be in our prayers Keri. We are rooting for you!

    Mary Beth and Annika Dybevik

    ReplyDelete