Hi there :-)
After a roller-coaster week of tests, results and appointments here are the updates:
1) I asked Dr. Thompson of SCCA to have a radiologist compare my first (Dec.) PET CT with my most recent (Feb.) PET CT/CT to see if the right shoulder and right groin were on the first PET/CT as well to ensure I actually have re-occurrence and Stage 4 Melanoma - meaning it has spread beyond the regional area. After doing that, to his surprise, he said yes those areas were not new or re-occurring cancer, they were there from the beginning. So the shoulder area could be a false positive and the right groin area could be stress on the nodes from tearing ligaments in my right ankle in Dec. Though due to the different types of tests, he cannot measure them to see if there is a difference in their size from Dec to Feb.
2) I then decided to have an MRI of my abdomen, chest and pelvis on Monday, with the advice of Dr. Kaplan from Swedish Medical center, to help clarify if those areas were actually melanoma tumors or not, and the good news is that the MRI came out clear. So according to Dr. Kaplan, I am not at Stage 4 since the MRI didn't confirm the PET CT /CT results. Yet he said that I still have a very high chance of re-occurrence due to how aggressive it was in my left groin area and he would still recommend high dose Interleukin 2 - normally used for patients with metastasised melanoma. Interferon is only used when there is not metastasized tumors and he doesn't want to risk it by not going aggressive enough the first time out!
I was not very happy with the lack of thoroughness with the SCCA team and their recommendations of treatment seemed not to make sense plus Dr. Thompson was leaving for a conference on Thurs/Fri and wanted to delay my treatment decision until the following week. So when Dr. Thompson called me on Thursday and said that due to the updated information with the MRI, that I do not qualify for his ALT-801 trail, as there needs to be confirmed, measurable metastasized melanoma, and the MRI didn't show that, I quickly thanked him and said that I would continue treatment with Dr. Kaplan at Swedish.
3) I had my appointment with Dr. Kaplan yesterday and I am scheduled to go into Swedish Medical Center on Monday for High Dose Interleukin 2. I will not be in ICU unless I need to be. I will be in there for 14 treatments, spaced about 8 hrs apart. I will come home once I am able to - which could be after the last treatment, or a couple days later, once I am recovered. I then go back in for another round of 14 treatments the following Monday (about 9 days later).
I am not sure how my body will react to the toxic drug, hopefully I will just breeze right through it and be home for the weekend. Along with Doug and my mom helping, my very good friend Sharon will be visiting me March 9-13 to help at home and with the girls.
Thank you all for all your love and support and I look forward to getting through March as quickly as possible.
~Keri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So glad to hear that it's not stage 4!! We'll all keep up the happy thoughts and prayers, and you should breeze right through March! :)
ReplyDeleteIf there is anything you need, please let us know!
Hugs,
~ Jen, Craig & Kyle
Hi Ker! You/We are so ready for this newest battle!! Bring it on!We are all right there with you in prayer battling for you and Dougie and the girls!May the momentum of the great report help propel you through.Stayin' CANCER FREE!!I'll see ya tonight!
ReplyDeleteGood job researching your care!!! I will be thinking of you on Monday and the following days of treatment. Think positive thoughts, which I am convinced helps the whole body get well. Keep your eyes on the goal and you will get through this. CANCER FREE Those are the best words in the world. Love, Sue (and Bob)
ReplyDeleteKeri,
ReplyDeleteMore power to you. Way to take charge of your care. There is a reason why you are CC's career leader in games played. Day in day out, you always brought your A game and gave it your very best. Your attitude and fighting spirit will prevail. Thanks for creating this blog and giving us all a chance to share our energy with you and the Kirton family. My thoughts are with you on this journey.
Take Care,
Karen Willoughby
Keri, so glad to hear that you are not Stage 4...great news! Now that you know "what is,"
ReplyDeleteyou can focus on the fight. Find out all that you can about the things that might lessen any of the side effects of treatment. Expect to do well with any side effects and ask anyone and everyone what seems to work for them. Don't overlook taking good care of EVERY part of youself! Calories are important so take in whatever works for you...gaining weight shouldn't be an issue! Nutrition drinks are good...some flavors may not work but you will find what does. You now have a focus for your energy. YOU WILL COME OUT ON TOP!
Love you,
Aunt Linda
Keri, that is such GREAT news! You've made our day and we are so thankful. Prayers for getting thru your treatments and getting home quickly!
ReplyDeleteWe love you, Kris and Brandon
I will be thinking about you this week! Stay positive and strong! You are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteBrooke Noone
Hey Kers -
ReplyDeleteWonderful news! Good for you for digging deep and researching, questioning things. You have many people rallying around you, Doug and the girls to help pull you through this fight.
Stay strong girl!
amy major
Keri, this is great news! You are so strong, smart and proactive, things are looking good!
ReplyDeleteYou're in our prayers, Andy, Lisa and Drew
Keri:
ReplyDeleteSo many people are here for you. You have great Karma!!! With your amazing outlook and strength you have everything you need for this battle you are facing!! Was so glad to see that you have Dr. Kaplan. He was Darrell's former wife's cancer doctor and she has been cancer free for 7 years. He says Dr. K is the best in Seattle!!! Stay strong and know that you are loved by many!
Kathy, Kelley and Darrell
Keri, I wanted to send a hello and let you know that I was thinking about you today. You are a strong woman and you have an army of fans to support you & cheer you on.
ReplyDeleteMy family sends positive, healthy thoughts your way, Melissa Jackson